Author Topic: Getting Started Help  (Read 2022 times)

elquesodio

Getting Started Help
« on: February 28, 2015, 02:50:02 AM »
I must be doing something wrong, but I'm at a loss. I've watched the tutorial twice and browsed the forums. I already have copies of Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America Winter Soldier (I mention these two as they already have filters posted and that would be the best way to test it).

So when I drag the video file into the box, it does nothing. I've tried dragging the video file in first, then the clean file. I've tried doing it backwards. I've tried putting both in the same folder together and renaming them identically. I've tried moving the file to a different folder. No matter what I do, it isn't registering that anything is supplied in the drag and drop.

I'm running Windows 8.1 and I do have VLC installed.

Can anyone help me out?

FM71

• Administrator
Re: Getting Started Help
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
Well, if it is not changing pictures on the drag-and-drop, then it is not working as that is the most obvious indicator if things are working or not. Honestly it sounds like a case of missing dependencies on Windows 8 over Windows 7.

Sorry about the hassle you are having thus far, we have not tested this yet on Windows 8 to get the minimum requirements. We will load up a virtual machine asap and check it out. One thing I would recommend is making sure your anti-virus is off for a final test. Never know what is breaking things.

Should have information on dependencies within a few hours.

Eternal

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
I Just ran a test on a Vanilla Windows 8 and a Fully Updated 8.1, VLClean Functioned without a problem on both.

I have no idea what would prevent it from detecting a Drag & Drop.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:31:42 PM by FM71 »

Woodfinch

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 and had the same problem until I ran the program in my downloads folder. Before, I had been trying to use it in the VLC program folder, and I think there was a problem involving administrative rights (even though I ran it as an administrator). Now I think it's having trouble finding the VLC directory. I tried to set it manually, but I'm not sure I did it right.

I'm not sure whether it's part of the same problem, but I get a message box about a filter time overlap when I import my files (I'm testing it with Game of Thrones S1 E1). I've also tried it with two different file formats which it claims are untested (mkv and avi).

On a side note, I think I found a typo. That message box I mentioned warned me solemnly that the "filter may function correctly." Happily, this catastrophe did not occur :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:25:30 PM by Woodfinch »

FM71

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
To begin with, the GoT filters did have a filter overlap. I just fixed it.

As for the typo, we are working on another app at the moment, but as soon as we get a second, we will fix that. It's not a big deal so no hurry, but thanks for pointing that out!

Regarding it not running right, if it is telling you there is a filter overlap, then the cleaning portion of things is working somewhat :) What exactly is going on with everything else? If you feel like it, you can always install TeamViewer and I can have the coder hop in and see what's up. Could help for future users if we get you sorted.

Woodfinch

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:17:12 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. The VLClean gui seems to be fully functional (though it has crashed a few times), but I haven't been able to play or open any media with it so far. That's what lead me to believe that it might not be connecting properly with VLC. I just installed TeamViewer 10 if you want to take a look at it. I'm using the latest version of the VLClean Beta.

Edit: I have not received any error messages that say VLClean can not find VLC, and I know from reading other threads that I did everything correctly when setting the player location manually.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:24:03 PM by Woodfinch »

FM71

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:28:18 AM »
Sorry, would of gotten back to you sooner, but we were out for the day. I will hit you back up tomorrow. PM me with a good way to contact you more directly.

Woodfinch

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:32:40 PM »
Well, we figured it out. The problem was caused by Avast Antivirus blocking VLClean's ability to communicate with VLC Media Player. If anyone else is having this problem, simply open the Avast user interface, click on "Settings," and go to the "Active Protection" tab. Next, click on the "Customize" link across from the words "File System Shield" and go to the "Exclusions" tab. Finally, click "Add" and browse to the folder in which VLClean is located. Select the folder, click ok, and you're done! Reopen the program and it should work without a hitch. Thanks again to the VLClean team for troubleshooting this issue  :D.